Friday, August 12, 2011

Unboxing: Catherine Love Is Over Deluxe Edition (PS3)

I was planning to type and post this a lot sooner, but I had more important things to do like playing and getting mad at video games. For those of you that don't know, Catherine is a horror, puzzle, dating sim game that focuses on the more unappealing aspects of a relationship, such as marriage and cheating. Or in other terms, it's a DEEP visual novel with block puzzles. Anyways, on to the unboxing.


The box is quite large. I did some rough measurements and it's around 26 x 24 x 7 cm (10 x 9.5 x 3 inches). When you pull off the cover sleeve...


Fresh from the Stray Sheep, Vincent's favorite bar, a delicious pizza is waiting for you! It's actually pretty neat how they found a way to make a regular box into a collector's item. It's a shame that you can never actually order or eat any pizza in the actual game, but you can watch other characters eat some! I wonder what type of pizza is inside...

My favorite! Nomnomnomnomom



The main attraction of the package is the game, of course. Another neat thing Atlus did was giving the PS3 and Xbox two different art covers for the game. The PS3 has an image of a seductive Catherine while the Xbox has lovely art of Katherine.


The first of the bonus goodies is a t-shirt. This shirt is worn by Catherine at one point in the game after she stays the night over at Vincent's place to play "video games" all night long. According to Catherine, Vincent is really good at "video games". Unfortunately, this shirt is a large and is way too big for me. I suppose it doesn't matter that much as I probably would never wear it anyways.


The second item is a bit too lewd to showcase on this blog so you'll have to click the image above to view it. This item is undergarments worn by a certain character. Just like the last item, this one makes multiple appearances in the actual game itself.


The third item is a pillowcase that features artwork of Catherine on it. Unlike the previous goodies, this doesn't make an appearance in the game. However, pillows do appear often in the game and Vincent's pillow is one of the few weapons he has to use against enemies.


The last item is a mini art book that also includes a sound disc. From what I've heard, people who only bought the game itself received this as well if they pre-ordered the game.


The art book has information on the characters and music in the game. It also has short paragraphs describing what the people who worked on this game thought about a particular aspect of making the game. These people have all worked on several Persona games as well. I should probably get around to playing that series too. It has been in my backlog for who knows how long.

Catherine likes pizza too.


At the end of the book is the sound disc. I'm a bit disappointed that the disc didn't come with its own case. There was plenty of space to accommodate it into the box, but I suppose Atlus thought it would cost too much to make cases and artwork for it. 

The CD contains 11 tracks of classical songs remixed to fit the setting of Catherine. Don't mistake it for an OST. A bit disappointing, but the songs on this CD are quite good. Here's a track from the CD. You can also download the MP3 rips from here.

 

That's everything in the Love is Over edition of Catherine! The game itself was fairly enjoyable to me, although, the main storyline is a bit short. It does have a lot of replay value due to multiple endings, three difficulty settings, and short "side quests", if you can call them that, to help fellow Stray Sheep bar patrons. 

The worst aspect of this game would have to be the difficulty of the puzzles. Even on the easy setting there were multiple instances where I became stumped on a single section of a stage. However, the boss levels felt a lot easier than regular stages. The boss levels seem to focus on rushing you to complete the stage while throwing annoying quirks in the puzzle while regular levels just threw complex situations at you. If you don't mind the steep difficulty or you're a masochist that likes it this way, like me, then Catherine is a great game to play.

11 comments:

  1. Maybe I should buy special edition stuff when I have money. If I ever have money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this same edition as well. I didn't do an unboxing of it since it looks like everybody got this too.

    >I'm a bit disappointed that the disc didn't come with its own case.

    I was too.

    I haven't played the game but I don't think there's an option to change the language to Japanese. If that's the case then I might have to import the Japanese version. Yes, the original language means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to pre-order this edition, but I never got enough money to do so. Maybe I'll get the regular version sometime instead.

    >I should probably get around to playing that series too.

    The Persona series is great. There's no option to change the language in them either though, at least not in the PAL versions, but they're still worth playing.

    >I'm a bit disappointed that the disc didn't come with its own case.

    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing when they decide to include a CD with a game and they just give you the disc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really nice. I want to play this game, but it doesn't come out here for months still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had monies I would buy this D= it looks pretty cool. The clothes would fit me too..lol so no waste there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is amazing and awesome *__* and the cover art is so pretty haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. They still have this in the game store near my house, and I'm tempted to buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. >I don't think there's an option to change the language to Japanese

    You're correct.

    >The Persona series is great

    Just finished Persona 4 recently. Adachi's expressions are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to play this, but I lack the necessary console.
    There's an upcoming figure of Catherine that looks quit nice.

    ReplyDelete