Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review: Figma Black Gold Saw By Max Factory

Black Gold Saw is another character designed by Huke. She resembles Black Rock Shooter a fair bit. If BRS were to fuse with Dead Master or Black Devil Girl then BGS would most likely be the result. I suppose this is one of the drawbacks when designing characters that consists mainly of a black and white color scheme. To be honest, BGS is my least favorite judging from purely a design perspective. That doesn't mean I don't like her though!


Her box is pretty much the standard for figmas. BGS doesn't come with much accessories. The picture above shows everything she comes with except for the stand. Since her hands are larger than normal, they don't include the little piece to hold all the hands. Four set of hands, three faces, and King Saw. It's not much, but she does have some features that make up for the lack of accessories.



Here she is in her default pose. Getting her to stand on her own is a lot more difficult compared to most figmas due to her footwear. Any part of her that looks sharp IS sharp.


When I first opened the box, I noticed that her horns pierced the plastic sheet protecting her. Anyways, she's not wearing it in the pictures above, but her second face looks almost identical to her default. The only real difference is a slight smile that shows part of her teeth. The top back of her hair and her jacket is made of a very flexible substance, perhaps rubber. This allows you to adjust flow of her hair in the back and gives her arms more room to move. However, her long hair also obstructs the hole for her stand to be placed in to. The stand uses an add-on attached to the end to slightly extend its reach. It's necessary to use it since the normal peg doesn't fit. It's not very secure compared other figmas and the long hair just makes it even more difficult to get it in place.


At first I thought I was hit by some QUALITY on the white strips below her knee, but according to the stock photos they're supposed to be like that. I would assume it's to show wear and tear from her battles. The hands are a lot easier to swap out, but at the same time that also makes them fall out easier. Normally they would stay on just fine, but when you decide to let her hold King Saw it becomes a slight problem due to the weight and size. Just like BRS, since she's wearing shorts there's nothing constricting her leg movements. I also noticed that they made her butt cheeks and crotch area out of that rubbery substance as well. I'm not really sure why, I would have preferred it they haven't. BGS' chest is also larger compared to BRS and DM.


Can't forget about King Saw! She has my favorite expression in this picture, her angry face! Getting BGS to hold King Saw is a bit tricky due to the weight and size. Combine that with her less than secure base and it becomes very frustrating. Just like BRS' hands, you have to "open" up her hand slightly to fit King Saw in. King Saw is the only real accessory included.


The three of them together. Not only does BGS have the largest chest, but she's the tallest of the trio as well. From a figure perspective, I prefer Dead Master the most. She has the least amount of problems in terms of poseability and she doesn't require that much effort to set-up. I won't deny that I probably have a biased opinion though.

When you play, 
you play by Dead Master's rules.

19 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I like BGS as much as the other two - particularly Dead Master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >Any part of her that looks sharp IS sharp.

    Years later, and Fulldrillized GL is still drawing blood. Beware, the sharp points!

    >they made her butt cheeks and crotch area out of that rubbery substance as well. I'm not really sure why, I would have preferred it they haven't

    If it's the substance I'm thinking of, it'll wear and become disgusting in time. I hate that too.

    >I won't deny that I probably have a biased opinion though.

    You're right though. As far as the Figmas go, Dead Master is the best~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dead Master is indeed the best looking of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those hands are pretty wtf...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think she's my least favourite design out of the three too, though I still like huke's BRS-related characters in general. I don't own any figmas so I can't really comment on posing issues.

    >BGS' chest is also larger compared to BRS and DM.

    Ha, I think I've spotted the reason you prefer the others!

    I like the pose with the King Saw, she looks like she's about to wreck someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really dumb in thinking that all of the other BRS figmas would still be in stock long after release. I was wrong and I'm regretting not pre-ordering.

    >I prefer Dead Master the most.

    I find that a lot of people do. I'm actually one of the boring people that likes BRS more than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks really dangerous.... and she looks like a grown-up unlike the rest! Very beautiful. Although, I'm pretty conformist because my favorite is Dead Master, but I think BRS looks the best in this figurine line-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. >If it's the substance I'm thinking of, it'll wear and become disgusting in time.

    I'll have to clean her regularly, I guess. Although, the thought of cleaning her...privates is a bit lewd.

    >Ha, I think I've spotted the reason you prefer the others!

    You got me there.

    >I'm regretting not pre-ordering.

    I'm sure she'll show up on Mandarake. I remember seeing Dead Master pop up a few times after her release as well.

    >Neat figures you have there!
    >Looks pretty cool.

    Thanks, brosefs.

    >Those hands are pretty wtf...

    I know, broski.

    ReplyDelete
  9. scary looking woman there. So she got sharp pointy boots, sharp horns,sharp nails and razor hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh... I'm not such a fan of figs that are articulated. I haven't bought anything in a looong time though. Forever poor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. >Any part of her that looks sharp IS sharp.

    Kinky.

    BGS is my least favorite design from Huke as well. I just feel she's lacking.

    I don't reallu think your opinion at the end is too biased. I don't have Dead Master's figma, but I know BRS is a bit of a pain to pose and such, and BGS seems like she's a bit difficult to really get right as well.

    >they made her butt cheeks and crotch area out of that rubbery substance as well. I'm not really sure why, I would have preferred it they haven't

    Seems like a bad design decision to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They fit well together, the three of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think DM looks the cutest, her dress is the most frilly. But honestly all these BRS characters look the same to me: Chinese girls in leather suits.

    The DM plush looked cute and fluffy though. Thinking about it I think BRS figma is probably the better one, since you get that huge gun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. >Thinking about it I think BRS figma is probably the better one, since you get that huge gun, right?

    Yeah, BRS comes with Rock Cannon and Black Blade. She also has three faces, two hair pieces, two chains, and two stands. You get the most bang for your buck with her.

    ReplyDelete