Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: Dead Master Animation Version By Good Smile Company

Here comes the figure that I was anticipating the most, Dead Master! Kirari Star has a review up for Dead Master Original Version so check it out if you're curious. Before I continue, I would like to make it known that my opinion of this figure will most likely be biased due to my affection to the character. I'll try to keep it to a minimum so forgive me.

As you may already know, Black Rock Shooter Animation Version suffered from various problems from broken twintails to her missing star. Fortunately, Dead Master has been spared from any QUALITY defects and it looks like her name won't be changed to Derp Master. Anyways, on to the review!


Her box is fairly large, but I guess it's a normal size for GSC's BRS product line. Nothing too fancy from the box aside from the letters in the front going along the side as well.


There are several twisty ties holding the packaging together along with four buttons in their respective corners. The twisty ties hold the small pieces in place very well, but like everyone knows, they are a pain to untie.

The instructions is just a single page that is sealed in a plastic bag. Even without being able to read moonrunes, they are easy to follow except for one part. One of the chain's peg holes wasn't shown clearly and it took me awhile just to find the spot since I was looking at the wrong place. I bet this could have been avoided if I could read the instructions.


All of her accessories placed out. They're all different sizes so it makes it easy to recognize. Dead Scythe is split in two parts so it can be placed into Dead Master's hands.



A fantastic base made up of Dead Master's two skulls. The two skulls look almost identical apart from their sizes and the small white scratches. If you look closely you can see some of the holes and pegs used to connect the chains to the base. The silver pole sticking out of the large skull connects to Dead Master's left foot which keeps her afloat in the air. That's right, just a single pole is used to support her.



Here she is all set up. Surprisingly, everything connected with each other very nicely. You can set her up in less than a minute if you've done it before. Not only that, she's also very light. I thought she would have some weight to her due to her base, but it's not that heavy at all.

 Showing where everything connects.

Different color than the original.


Her eyes aren't hollow like the original's. It's up to personal taste to which you would prefer, I like both versions. Dead Master has a beautiful face and her expression has a playful, yet sinister look to it. I actually find it pretty cute, it feels like she is toying with whoever she's fighting. I wouldn't mind getting tied up by her.

 A modest chest.
Her clothing has a nice flow of motion to it.


Great legs. Since she's based off her appearance in the Black Rock Shooter OVA, her pants don't have the string ties on the side.

Shiny high heels.

 A closer look at her wings and drill hair.
And her delicious bare back.

A scary duo to fight against.

And there you have it! Dead Master Animation version is well worth the money I spent on her. The only defects I could find was an extremely small amount of paint bleeding on the tip of Dead Scythe and the skin tone on her back being slightly more pink than other spots on her body. I can't notice it in my pictures so maybe I'm just being nitpicky. I suppose the only other downside of this figure is that viewing her from the sides doesn't compare to the front or back. 

Regardless, a great addition to my collection. AmiAmi restocked her at the time of this post so if you missed your chance earlier you can buy her over at their website.

Special Filler

I was running out of space in my closet so I ended up rearranging the boxes shoved in there. Here's what it looked like before.


Then I shoved and stacked everything to the left.

Loads of room now!
Oh dear, if you enlarge the picture you can see Meiling's panties!

14 comments:

  1. >A modest chest
    the best chest
    it looks like she has a wedgie

    it really looks a lot better when you don't see things holding them in place

    ReplyDelete
  2. >That's right, just a single pole is used to support her

    Wow, really? She must've been as light as you mentioned

    So you still store the figurines and whatnot in the closet, huh? Must have been a shame to remove them from the packages, only to put them back in. But I guess it can't be helped...

    >CIMG8213.jpg

    oh u

    ReplyDelete
  3. >twisty ties

    Fucking hell.

    >That's right, just a single pole is used to support her.

    Is that some fucking magic?

    I can understand why you'd be biased, but a good opinion is not without reason here. This Dead Master is a beautiful figure.

    I find it a shame that you just stuff everything in your closet, but that's understandable too.

    >Oh dear, if you enlarge the picture you can see Meiling's panties!

    You know, I was half-expecting Koga- Ah fuck. I didn't even notice until I looked at it a second time. I'm blind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice figure, and reminds me I haven't gotten around to watching BRS yet somehow. I've been meaning to for ages though.

    >Oh dear, if you enlarge the picture you can see Meiling's panties!

    You so sly

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks really lovely, I was debating getting her.

    >Oh dear, if you enlarge the picture you can see Meiling's panties!
    KOGASAAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've said it before, but BRS bases are so good. The skull makes an awesome stand.

    I think I prefer the original version over the animation one, but I really like this one's pose.

    Your closet is so neatly arranged, it really shows off your collection well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her expression.

    >That's right, just a single pole is used to support her.

    Are you a wizard?

    ReplyDelete
  8. >So you still store the figurines and whatnot in the closet, huh?
    >I find it a shame that you just stuff everything in your closet

    I'll be able to let them out and bask in their glory someday.

    >I think I prefer the original version over the animation one, but I really like this one's pose.

    I'm actually really tempted to get the original version even though I have this one already. I was thinking about it before as well, but getting this Dead Master makes me want to get the other one even more. Might just be impulse though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >Are you a wizard?
    >Is that some fucking magic?

    I'm a mahou shoujo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shine on her black cloths, that moonlight glowing skin, and dem high heels. Why must you taunt me so, that what comes up to mind for most BRS figures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know why but it bothers me that the skull has no teeth X_X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had a better appreciation for figures, but all I can really say is that it looks good. I like your closet shrine. It'd be nice if I had enough stuff to do something with in terms of display, but all I have is a single row of books on my chest of drawers (such a weird name for a piece of furniture).

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful figure, indeed. And the base is cool. I prefer this version.

    >twisty ties

    ;_;

    >CIMG8213.jpg

    ;_;

    ReplyDelete