Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Review: Black Rock Shooter Original Version By Good Smile Company (Re-release)

With two figures from the BRS universe already on pre-order I thought that it wouldn't hurt to get another. Haters gonna hate. I personally enjoyed the OVA even with the mediocre story and I'm sure most of you already know why.

Anyways, this figure is based off Huke's illustration of Black Rock Shooter and mine happens to be the re-release. From what I've heard the only real difference from its first run is that the skin tone is slightly more pink, or flesh tone, but people say it's not that noticeable unless you compare them side by side. I don't have the first run obviously, but I think the current tone is fine. If anything, I think this whole deal with the skin tone is mainly just a bunch of elitists that want the first run because, well... it's the first run. That's just my opinion though.


The box is quite big, a lot bigger than I thought. I decided to put the box at an angle to show the sides and to avoid reflections. The front and back is the usual that you would expect from a figure's box. I did like how the side has Huke's illustration of BRS, the same one the figure is based off of.


Here she is all set-up.


One large reason why I like Huke's characters from the BRS universe is because they revolve around a black color scheme. BRS is no exception and the contrast between her black clothing and pale skin is very appealing to me.

This figure comes with two hair pieces to allow you to display the flame on her left eye if you wish. Changing the pieces was a bit tricky because I was afraid that I might smudge some of the paint from the hair onto her face when putting it back on. I was able to avoid that, but I won't be changing them again anytime soon due to that fear. Besides, I like her with her flame better.

Oh, that footwear. I'm particularly fond of these types of boots and they compliment BRS' legs nicely. One thing that worried me was getting the pegs in the base to align with the holes in the soles of her feet. BRS' feet were too far apart to line up with the pegs and I had to gently push it into place. I was afraid I might break it so I carefully applied small amounts of pressure gradually and it seemed to do the trick. After getting her in place the pegs held her firmly.


Oh how delicious. BRS has a killer body and her clothing shows it. The scars are a bit too red for my taste, but it doesn't bother me too much. I did notice a bit of paint bleeding on the belt, but they were so small that only a detailed examination revealed them. The detailing on the jacket's zipper is impressive as well.

I think some people may have been wondering how BRS was able to defeat Dead Master with a single hug. I thought it was pretty obvious. Who would be able to stay conscious after being pressed against such a flat chest? I know I couldn't. Also dat ass.


BRS' twintails are beautiful. They have a strange feeling when touching them. They feel strong, yet at the same time they could snap from being so fragile.




A great looking base much like Dead Master Original Version's. The base is the heaviest piece and the shipping cost reflects it. The underside of the base is just a plain white with Huke's name above the words "Made in China".



Rock Cannon has a nice metallic look to it. It even has some silver scratches to show its wear and tear. The chain looks alright I suppose.


And here comes the worst part of the figure. Putting the chain on. It's an incredibly annoying task to do and the slip of paper with instructions didn't help that much. Well, they might have been more helpful if I could read moonrunes. I couldn't really see what was going on in the last panel and I ended up doing it my own way which I'm 100% sure was harder. It's very secure with this method, but getting everything in place was a huge ordeal.


Rock Cannon isn't secured by pegs so it's a bit loose. This made me rage quite a bit while affixing the chain for obvious reasons.

This figure is a great addition to my collection. The only real downside of this figure is the tedious work to set it up, but it looks great after.

Hmm, do my photos look more blurry than before? I tried taking the shots in a higher resolution and I think it might just be making the QUALITY of my photos shine more than ever.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a beautiful figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not wrong about the chain, I don't think I ever ended up being completely satisfied with the way I put the chain on mine.

    >If anything, I think this whole deal with the skin tone is mainly just a bunch of elitists that want the first run because, well... it's the first run.

    Probably. I don't get it myself though, she's a beautiful figure and the more people that get to enjoy her the better.

    >Hmm, do my photos look more blurry than before?

    Not that I can notice. One or two of the photos mightn't be perfectly in focus but they're pretty sharp looking overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good looking figure. The contrast between clothing and skin is indeed quite pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >the contrast between her black clothing and pale skin is very appealing to me.

    Yes! Me too!

    >Who would be able to stay conscious after being pressed against such a flat chest? I know I couldn't.

    I would've died at that point.

    The photos look fine to me. Also, I couldn't help but notice how your review sounded very sexual. Lol, maybe it's just me but I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes nice colors, nice stand and, dat ass. They really do make good BRS figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >I think this whole deal with the skin tone is mainly just a bunch of elitists that want the first run because, well... it's the first run. That's just my opinion though.

    You're probably right. Such are manchildren.

    I've always liked this figure. It's visually stunning, and it would probably catch the attention of someone who doesn't even know who BRS is.

    >flat chest

    Indeed.

    >Hmm, do my photos look more blurry than before? I tried taking the shots in a higher resolution and I think it might just be making the QUALITY of my photos shine more than ever.

    Perhaps, a tiny bit? They look perfect from the thumbnails, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think there's any difference at all really. What I'm really surprised about is that they didn't fix the error that's on the figure. It's only a slight error, but she doesn't have the star on the chest of her hoodie. It's a problem that they knew existed with the first set, and I don't know why they didn't fix it with this batch. If they didn't change that, I doubt they'd change anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. >I couldn't help but notice how your review sounded very sexual

    How lewd. I did talk about how great her body was a lot, I suppose it can't be helped.

    >she doesn't have the star on the chest of her hoodie

    I think you're mistaking it for the animation version! The animation version was the one with the missing star and this one has it. After looking through my pictures it is a bit hard to see the star. This picture is the only one that has a good view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, you're right. I might need new glasses. I didn't see the star there when I checked yesterday! You sure the NHK didn't edit the images in your blog with starless BRS to humiliate me into making my post?

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a very beautiful figure, the sculpt is excellent.
    I like Dead Master's design more though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. >You sure the NHK didn't edit the images in your blog with starless BRS to humiliate me into making my post?

    Shh! Now they'll know that we're on to them!

    >I like Dead Master's design more though.

    Yeah, same here. I actually have DM animation version on pre-order. I just hope she isn't plagued with QUALITY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. >Oh how delicious.

    Indeed.

    >One thing that worried me was getting the pegs in the base to align with the holes in the soles of her feet.

    I know that feel.

    >Hmm, do my photos look more blurry than before?

    Nah, they look nice as usual.

    ReplyDelete