Friday, February 4, 2011

Review: Figma Aya Shameimaru By Max Factory

Gensokyo's honest and humble reporter is here in Figma form! She came before Fate, but I decided to review Fate first so now it's Aya's turn.


 
 The usual from Figma boxes.
You can see my hams in the reflection.

Aya comes with several accessories: camera, leaf fan, notebook, pen, crow, and wings. One thing I really liked was that they gave you a little cover to place over the leaf and three hands you see above. This prevents them from falling out of place if you decide to put everything back into the box. A lot of my previous Figma products suffered from that problem so it's nice that Max Factory found a way to fix it.



Her camera isn't that detailed, but it's understandable considering how small it is. The leaf is pretty simple, yet it still looks nicely done. I was slightly disappointed how her wings are attached. It's attached to Aya using the stand's pole or a separate peg if you don't want to use the stand. It looks fine from the front, but not so much from the back.


The crow is shiny. Really shiny. Might as well call him Sparkly the Crow. He doesn't look very realistic at all because of it. Anyways, Sparkly is very easy to use. You attach him to the stand's pole and adjust him into a position that you desire. This also means you can't use him without the stand.


Aya can stand without her base! They give you these two things to attach to her heels which allows her to balance herself. It isn't very stable though so I wouldn't recommend using it too much. I don't exactly like how her entire shoe is red though. Even the laces are red. Her notebook can be removed from her hand unlike her pen and camera. The pages are blank.

Shutter Chance~

Dead Master is love~

I think I'm going to stop with the + / - summaries. I-it's not because I'm l-lazy or anything... I just want to see if you actually read my review! 

The Figma stand gave me a lot of frustration in several ways. When I first looked at it, a small part that keeps one of the screws in place was missing! I was sure it didn't fall out since I was lucky enough to notice as soon as I took the pole out of the box. Fortunately (?), I had a broken Figma stand and stole the part from it. However I couldn't find Aya's stand after I took the part out from the broken stand! I searched for several minutes and gave up. I put everything back and then I found Aya's stand. Awesome. So then I got everything out and fixed it up.

It doesn't end here though! Somehow I had misplaced Aya's stand AGAIN while taking photos. I ended up using a stand from another Figma and after I packed everything up, I found the stand.

Aya's box also got messed up slightly in transit. 
Otacute packaged it okayish.

12 comments:

  1. >I-it's not because I'm l-lazy or anything... I just want to see if you actually read my review!

    Of course I do, though sometimes I feel like I've got nothing constructive to say, so I leave a shitty comment.

    So, basically, most of the accessories are not as good as they could be, but the figure itself is fine? It looks nice, though you're right about the shoelaces. Once I notice something like that, my autism ruins the figure forever afterwards.

    This figure is probably going to get more expensive as time goes by, so I'm pretty jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >This prevents them from falling out of place if you decide to put everything back into the box.

    This sounds like a great addition!

    The heel-things also look like a nice touch. I suppose anything would be an improvement over wrestling with the fig for ten minutes to get it to stand straight without the base..

    >and after I packed everything up, I found the stand.

    Glorious. I tend to find lost pieces like that too ;_; Lovely photos, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't they sculpt the wings onto the body? I think the attatchment does look awkward

    ReplyDelete
  4. >Even the laces are red.

    Disappointment in lack of detailing, but Figmas usually skimp out on small stuff like this.

    >Dead Master is love

    She reminds me of a cat in that image. It looks like she has that ゜ω゜face with her tongue sticking out, her fingers are naturally claws, and her green eyes are shown at an angle that makes them look like cat eyes.

    >Otacute packaged it okayish.

    Oh no, I hope my Flandre Nendo from them doesn't get beat up in transit ;_;

    >Why didn't they sculpt the wings onto the body?
    Probably for packaging reasons. I agree though, it'd be better if it was sculpted on, but I guess it can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like that her wings aren't attached to her body. It's such an odd decision since they are a part of her. There's also the amount of detail that you'd expect from a figma.

    >I-it's not because I'm l-lazy or anything... I just want to see if you actually read my review!

    Of course I do! I guess some of my comments can be pretty lame sometimes.

    >This figure is probably going to get more expensive as time goes by, so I'm pretty jealous.

    I hope it's still available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems to be a rather nice figma

    though, those standalone foot stand things don't lloks that good in my opinion

    but it's aya so it's alright^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the wings are really the only thing that bother me with this one.

    >Dead Master is love~
    Took me awhile to notice BRS in the background.

    >I just want to see if you actually read my review!
    >sometimes I feel like I've got nothing constructive to say, so I leave a shitty comment.
    We all know that feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. >So, basically, most of the accessories are not as good as they could be, but the figure itself is fine?

    Yeah.

    >Why didn't they sculpt the wings onto the body? I think the attatchment does look awkward
    >Probably for packaging reasons

    I think it looks weird too. ZUN doesn't portray her with wings anymore so maybe Max Factory wanted to give you the option of using it or not. Although it's probably because of packaging like Kirari said.

    >I hope my Flandre Nendo from them doesn't get beat up in transit

    I'm sure she'll be fine! Your Dead Master came out unharmed and she didn't even have any padding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol Aya's shoes are so ghetto-looking

    Dead Master's pose reminds me of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons XD

    >I think I'm going to stop with the + / - summaries. I-it's not because I'm l-lazy or anything... I just want to see if you actually read my review!
    Hey, I think it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shame about not being able to display it without the stand, but I wouldn't really try and stand anything up without a stand anyway - way too much chance of pretty much anything falling over.

    The crow doesn't look that bad in the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  11. >I-it's not because I'm l-lazy or anything... I just want to see if you actually read my review!

    I did. But my comments are probably lame as well. ;_;

    Shame about her wings and shoes. Otherwise she looks nice.

    ReplyDelete