Saturday, January 22, 2011

Review: Alice Margatroid by Griffon Enterprises (Re-release)


There's nothing really special about Alice's box. It's a standard box from Griffon Enterprises. I didn't include any shots of the top, bottom, and sides as they look identical to the front or were very plain. The background that you can see through the front window shows a pink background with a window containing silhouettes of dolls. If there's anything worth mentioning about this bix, it would be it's size. It's fairly small compared to other 1/8 PVC figures. Due to its size, the shipping cost was a lot lower than I had expected.



Alice looks a lot more pretty IRL compared to Griffon's stock photos of her. It's a shame my amateur photography can't capture it. Her pose isn't the greatest, but you can't really expect much from Griffon Enterprises. I wasn't planning to show off her bloomers, but the way her dress flows makes it hard to hide.


Alice comes with her Shanghai doll which is held up mid-air with a plastic pole up her dress. Shanghai doesn't have a mouth which is okay in this case since I believe Griffon wanted to make her look cute. The detailing on her wasn't anything special, just the normal with a few paint errors. Her small size probably made her hard to paint via mass production. She also wobbles a lot with the slightest vibration. No where near enough to cause her to fall off the stand, but it shakes a lot.


A close up of Alice's head. Shes not really making any noticeable expression, but at least she looks cute. I like the way they sculpted the waves in her hair. A lot of people seem to forget that Alice's hair is wavy near the ends. If you look closely, you can see a few rough spots in the hair. I already expected this considering it's from Griffon so I wasn't terribly shocked.


She's not flat as a board! It's there, you just have to make a close inspection! The ribbons were nicely done, however there were some more paint errors on her back. Nothing too terrible.

 Some slightly sloppy paint work on the ribbons.

Her grimoire easily slides into her hand via a peg. 

This book doesn't have any real age markers on it like the remake has.


Nameplates are always sexy.

Alice Margatroid by Griffon Enterprises
+ Nameplate
+ Decent sculpt
+ Accessory is easy to place
+ / - Small box
- Simplistic pose
- Some paint errors
I don't really have much to say about this figure of Alice. It's nothing special and I think it was a bit overpriced. It sells for 6600 Yen at AmiAmi, but 5000-5500 Yen would have been a more reasonable price. After recieving this Alice, I feel less tempted to get the special version to be released soon. I wish I had more to say about this figure, but this is one figure that you buy more because you like the character herself over the actual figure. Of course, the same could also be applied to most of Griffon Enterprises' works.

This review didn't really take as long compared to the first ones I made. Maybe I'm becoming more efficent, but I think it's more because I'm getting lazy. Some of the pictures didn't turn out the way I wanted, like the one with the close-up of Alice's hairband.


On a side note, I recently came across a Touhou album called "Ancient Treasures". This video contains two tracks from the album and they happen to be "The Grimoire of Alice" and "Alice in Wonderland". The rest of the tracks are more songs based on the PC-98 tracks so check it out if you like what you hear. I, for one, am loving this album to orgasmic levels.

13 comments:

  1. I like the look of her wavy hair and ribbons. Sucks about the paint errors. Is that a common problem with Griffon products?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fingers are posed in a more articulated manner to give a better feeling of motion and doll control than the special version.

    Otherwise it's a typical Griffon Figure.

    >this is one figure that you buy more because you like the character herself over the actual figure. Of course, the same could also be applied to most of Griffon Enterprises' works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >The rest of the tracks are more songs based on the PC-98 tracks so check it out if you like what you hear

    Will do. I really wish there were more arranges of the PC-98s

    ReplyDelete
  4. >She's not flat as a board!

    Is it a problem if she was?

    >but this is one figure that you buy more because you like the character herself over the actual figure.

    Griffon knows this which is why we keep getting QUALITY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool looking. I decided to give anime another try last night and watched a show called "Darker than black" on my netflix. I was surprised how good it was any suggestions for shows similar to this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. >Is that a common problem with Griffon products?

    Unfortunately, yes.

    >Is it a problem if she was?

    Not really, but having a bit would be nice...

    >any suggestions for shows similar to this?

    I liked Darker than Black as well. Not exactly the same, but Deathnote and Code Geass are good entry level shows to start off with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dat music it's an eargizzing track alright.
    >Isaac
    You can try helsing, chrome shelled regios, death note, tengen toppa gurren laguan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hole in her hand really freaks me out X_x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ey, there's nothing wrong with being flat as a board...

    Her hair and ribbons are really well done (aside from the paint and rough spots), it's so wavy and smooth looking! Sucks about the price though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. >you can see a few rough spots in the hair
    I hate this.

    >- Simplistic pose
    I don't see a problem with this, though perhaps it's because I'm not an expert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to get her over a year ago, but took their Sakuya instead since it was cheaper.
    She does look better in reality, which made me unsure whether to get this or the new version.

    >I really wish there were more arranges of the PC-98s

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow nice pictures+vid!
    http://www.evanztories.blogspot.com
    http://www.ducks2nucks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. >Wow nice pictures+vid!

    Thanks, brah!

    ReplyDelete