Monday, November 29, 2010

Review: Touhou Nendoroid Petit Set #1 by Good Smile Company



Nendoroid Petit Set #1 comes with the famous poor shrine maiden and two out of three of her playable partners from Subterranean Animism. The box is fairly simple and mine was damaged slightly in the corners.

I was a bit disappointed by this set because after receiving it, there were some fine QUALITY that was apparent on Suika and Reimu. After doing some research, it seems GSC is a bit sloppy with their Nendoroid Petit product line. Several others seem to have reported different problems ranging from horrible paint jobs to pieces falling off. I was able to fix most of my problems with a bit of handy work, but this is enough to make me stay away from future petit sets.

  

Reimu comes with a trust broom accessory that can be removed. The broom itself can also be taken apart into two pieces. You can adjust the position of her head and arms a bit, but that's about it. The same applies to the other two figures. The QUALITY problem with my Reimu was the hole in her back. Normally, you stick it in with no problems, but the hole wasn't deep enough. I was able to get it to work after scraping the hole a bit, but it still isn't as stable as the other two figures.

I love Suika's drunk face on this figure. She only had one problem, her legs kept falling out of her body. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but the peg that connects the legs to the body has a small ridge (I'm not sure if that's the right word) that prevented it from being inserted all the way. The other two figures had the ridge as well, but they didn't interfere with the body. I'm not exactly sure why it's even there. I was able to fix this by using a nail file and working away at it. Eventually, I got it to stick to the body extremely well. I got a slight headache, which may have been from the dust/debris while working on it.


Ahhh, Aya. The pure and honest reporter of Gensokyo was the saving grace of this set. I couldn't find any problems with her, which pleased me quite a bit considering she was the main reason why I wanted this set. She's actually wearing panties, unlike the other two. The only thing about Aya that disappointed me was her camera and her shoes. The camera is just a shiny black and she doesn't have her famous tengu shoes. She doesn't carry her trademark fan with her, but at least she has a green leaf on her belt.


 


 

The stands gave me a nice full serving of RAGE and FRUSTRATION. Getting the stick into the base was a real fun task. I did eventually find a method to easily put it in, but it took awhile. I found the best way was to put as much strength into the stupid thing as possible. It was a very tight fit, just moving the the position of the stick made loud squeaky noises. Getting the figure on the stand is another hell in itself. I used the same method as above, except it wasn't as effective. My fingers started to hurt after awhile.


 

A nice feature that I did not expect was that you can swap their faces. You can even swap their arms and legs if you really wanted to. I was a bit worried when removing the hair and face piece because they were really stuck on to the figure. It was extremely difficult to pull off, to the point that I thought it wasn't supposed to. I had to Google to confirm because I was afraid I might break them.

After the first time, it's actually pretty easy. In a sense, it was like opening a sealed jar. A jar of delicious strawberry jam or something. Whatever you prefer. Drunk Aya is so cute~

Touhou Nendoroid Petit Set #1
+Very cute
 +Swappable faces/pieces
-Horrible, horrible stands.
-Infamous for QUALITY
-Those fucking stands, holy

I can't really recommend this set to anyone. All the QUALITY makes it a terrible choice, which is weird considering GSC usually makes top notch products. Hopefully the future petit sets aren't plagued by the same problems. If you really want some Touhou Nendoroid figures, then I recommend to get one of the full sized ones.

A bit late to say this, but when I first opened the box I decided to examine Suika first. As I picked her up, the lower half of her body fell apart.

15 comments:

  1. I've got Nendoroid Petit Set #2 myself and have a lot of the same problems you did.
    pegs that don't fit into holes right, parts that fall off easy and crappy stands.
    As you said, they're a little sloppy with that line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sucks about the quality. they dont look too bad here though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review is deterring me from buying from this line.

    >As I picked her up, the lower half of her body fell apart.

    That picture perfectly depicts my reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >The QUALITY problem with my Reimu was the hole in her back. Normally, you stick it in with no problems, but the hole wasn't deep enough. I was able to get it to work after scraping the hole a bit, but it still isn't as stable as the other two figures.

    All of my Nendoroid Petits have this problem. I have quite a few of them as well, mostly from box sets that give you one figure at random.

    And yeah, the petits in general are rather cheaply made, but most of them aren't expensive either so that's understandable.


    By the way, I love this image:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T4qnZ72ydk4/TPOisUDfcTI/AAAAAAAAAfg/wIKOnC4Cvdc/s1600/CIMG7013.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I love the lower half of the body falling out xD that would totally be my reaction too!

    Nice review by the way and I love the face on Aya xD very classic! The quality has me worried onto it from GSC so thanks for the review on that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

    but it's a little creepy how their faces come off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounded good until you mentioned the quality. I like the face/arm/leg swapping idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colin B beat me to it. D'AWWWWWWWWWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really like how those look. Also, I am surprised no one mentioned the Kogasa surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aya is the nicest figurine :p
    thanks for sharing this nice stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, I wasn't aware that there's 2 version of nendoroids (just googled it, derp). I guess it all come down to price VS quality, eh...

    >http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T4qnZ72ydk4/TPOisUDfcTI/AAAAAAAAAfg/wIKOnC4Cvdc/s1600/CIMG7013.JPG

    Surprise?! =P

    Personally, I prefer Suika from the other two. Look at her go~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the Lucky Star Street Fighter set and had problems as well. THings like Konata's hair being so loose that it falls off at the slightest touch, holes not fitting pegs properly and crap like that. Overall I like them because they're adorable, but the quality is certainly lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to get these before since they were cheaper than the regular Nendoroids, but their high QUALITY has discouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. >I was able to fix most of my problems with a bit of handy work, but this is enough to make me stay away from future petit sets.

    This really doesn't sound good. I suppose I rather not get this line either if there will be too much work and problems involved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't do any work on things that don't work. You must have some pretty high standards, though; These seem like they'd be completely fine by mine.

    It's still a shame about the general QUALITY. I might as well not even bother with this line.

    >I got a slight headache, which may have been from the dust/debris while working on it.

    The plastic that goes into figures is toxic in dust form. Be wary of it in the future.

    ReplyDelete